Monday, February 2, 2015

Tea in a Gourd?

My sister shops at a natural products/fair trade store in an adjoining town. Yesterday she came home with a surkrize (a family word for surprise), a Fire Gourd.  "Really," says I, "What do you mean?" She brings her hands from around her back and presents me with a small, mug-sized, gourd with interesting dark hued images on the outside surface under the finishing sealant. It is an organic and fair trade Fire Gourd from EcoTeas, made in Argentina,


Reading the tag that came with the gourd, I saw that this was indeed intended for drinking once it has been cured with yerba mate, an herbal tea 'packed with antioxidants."  I think this must mean once the instead is cleaned out according to their process which is 1) filling the gourd halfway with yerba mate and top off with boiling water, 2) soak for 24 hours, 3) remove herb and scrape gourd pulp from inside, 4) repeat the process a second time, and 5) give it a final hot water rinse.

The process relieved my mind a bit because when I looked inside, Yikes! This wasn't just white gourd pith, it was colored and musty/sooty. However, if an antioxidant herb is soaking in boiling water inside the gourd for 24 hours, twice, I can see how that would not only separate the lining from the wall of the gourd, but perhaps imbue the wall with fungus-fighting properties?

Caring for the gourd between uses is the regular gourd procedure: 1) dump grounds out [don't let anything sit inside for periods of time], 2) clean with water, no soap, 3) dry upside down [so moisture doesn't puddle at the bottom], and 4) store in dry, well ventilated location [so moisture doesn't settle, surely].
I think what I have questions about is the last line which states "It is natural for the gourd to sweat through its pores during use." Through the surface sealant?  I needed further information. I went to YouTube and found a demonstration - this made sense. Further, if the gourd is used and then cleaned and dried I can see how it could be used for tea.  Makes me want to try it...maybe.



Thank you sister of mine!  
You cracked my point of view and let me see beyond 
what I thought I knew!
CAM

No comments:

Post a Comment