Thursday, April 23, 2015

Gourd Automaton

Recent activity in the garage has to do with making automaton. Automata are mechanical devices that span the gambit from toys to kinetic art. Mechanical toys were once a province of the wealthy who had time to be entertained and money to pay artisans to produce the devices. As manufacturing procedures became mechanized and materials became more inexpensive, hand-cranked items became more mainstream. See the blog in the links to the side, The Wheels of the Gourd. The process is explained fairly thoroughly. Yes, this project actually required a separate blog, and is still evolving into other automatons!




....and after some minor adjustments (described in the blog devoted to gourd automata), here is the movement...


2 comments:

  1. The music you need is "The Marvelous Toy", Peater Paul & Mary.

    "When I was just a wee little lad, Full of health and joy, My father homeward came one night, And gave to me a toy. A wonder to behold it was, With many colors bright, And the moment I laid eyes on it, It became my heart's delight.

    It went "Zip" when it moved, and "Bop" when it stopped, and "Whirrr" when it stood still. I never knew just what it was and I guess I never will."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion! At Crackled, we're always open to another idea and enjoy trying new things. I'll go have a listen today and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete